Moana

The place for everything else......

Re: Moana

Postby Momof2n4 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:41 am

Seafaring coconuts are ok, but Tarkin got under your skin?
We have decidedly different scales for movie enjoyment.
With lowered expectations, we pulled it off!
Momof2n4

Postby Joshua » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:11 am

Momof2n4 wrote:Seafaring coconuts are ok, but Tarkin got under your skin?

Correct.

We have decidedly different scales for movie enjoyment.

Also correct.
Joshua

Postby Minnie Mum » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:59 am

Saw this over the holidays when we took DGS to a matinee. I really liked it, and DGS (5) seemed totally caught up during the movie, even "dancing" in his seat during some of the songs. Was really amazed by the animation- probably the best I've ever seen. But I agree with some that while the music was good, I don't think it was memorable. And I liked the major characters, but thought the coconuts were just too ridiculous.

Side note- I'd read previous reviews that said the ocean really was a character in its own right, but just thought it was because it was so beautifully animated. Once I actually saw it, I understood what they meant. But did anyone else have a strong flashback to The Abyss?
Minnie Mum

Postby Violet3000 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Minnie Mum wrote:Side note- I'd read previous reviews that said the ocean really was a character in its own right, but just thought it was because it was so beautifully animated. Once I actually saw it, I understood what they meant. But did anyone else have a strong flashback to The Abyss?

Oooo you're so right! I need to watch that movie again, I remember loving it in my high school scifi class.
Violet3000

Postby Joshua » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:47 pm

I've long felt the true test of a movie isn't how one feels after the first viewing, but rather repeated viewings. It held up extremely well. This could go down as one of my favorite animated Disney movies of all time. I can't stop singing!
Joshua

Postby bcrook » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Joshua wrote:I've long felt the true test of a movie isn't how one feels after the first viewing, but rather repeated viewings. It held up extremely well. This could go down as one of my favorite animated Disney movies of all time. I can't stop singing!

This is so true! And I look forward to seeing this.
- Barry
bcrook

Postby Harmony » Sun May 14, 2017 8:23 pm

DH and I just saw this for the first time last night. It was good! I'm not sure I thoguht it was amazing, but it was definitely entertaining. I did love Moana's character, and I *love* how they made the ocean its own character. The animation was just gorgeous. Oddly, the music wasn't a huge hit for me. I love Moana's How Far I'll Go (and the associated reprises), but "You're Welcome" was flat for me...probably because I really didn't like Maui's character at that moment, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I definitely don't see "You're Welcome" as the same ear worm hit as Let It Go (as I've seen some memes comparing it to lately). I did enjoy the story, though. I'd definitely watch it again, but I don't know that it's one of those that I can watch over and over and over again. Jury's still out on that!

I did love the post-credits scene...the homage to Sebastian was great :)
Harmony

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION