I-75 improvement in Kentucky

The place for everything else......

I-75 improvement in Kentucky

Postby Grimley1968 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:49 pm

I can almost sense the middle fingers thrust at all Kentuckians by out of state I-75 travelers in the southern third of the state, where I-75 (for the most part) drops from 3 lanes in each direction to 2. This has been a traffic bottleneck for years, and actually has caused many accidents as well. Not sure if road planners realized it doesn't matter how rural this area is; lots of people from a huge swath of the country (and Canada) still drive it to get through our state.

Good news! I saw on the local news last night that the state (well, a contractor for the state) is finally going to start, in March, 3-laning the primary bottleneck from mile marker 69 (where the 3 lanes reduce to 2 lane) all the way down to mile marker 52 (where 3 lanes resume near the town of London, KY). It's supposed to be done in phases starting north and moving south.

Hopefully this will get you northerners down to WDW/USO/Legoland, or wherever is still a fun place, a few minutes quicker (and me headed north as well). Hopefully, the bottlenecks and accidents fade when this is done. This is precisely the area that was so disastrously and infamously handled in that snowstorm in early 2016.
John
Grimley1968

Re: I-75 improvement in Kentucky

Postby larryz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Yay! Thanks for the head's up!
larryz

Postby Grimley1968 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:08 am

Please limit bird flips to 1 only in my direction when they narrow it down to 1 lane while widening to 3. :lol:
John
Grimley1968

Postby bcrook » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Grimley1968 wrote:Please limit bird flips to 1 only in my direction when they narrow it down to 1 lane while widening to 3. :lol:

Yes. This will be a problem. But at least I know. Thank you.
- Barry
bcrook

Postby bcrook » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Every time I wander that direction, I stop at Cumberland Falls. I've stayed in the lodge 3 times and I've seen a moonbow. I like it there.
- Barry
bcrook

Postby Grimley1968 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 pm

bcrook wrote:Every time I wander that direction, I stop at Cumberland Falls. I've stayed in the lodge 3 times and I've seen a moonbow. I like it there.

When I was an active pilot I used to fly over the falls all the time. Stunning beauty. It takes about 10 minutes to fly there from here in a Cessna 152 or 172 but about 70 minutes to drive it and the road is horrible. Worth it every trip though.

I love DuPont Lodge but my opinion is that it was a guilt concession from the DuPont Corp. for the abuse of our lands (and people) to obtain coal and lumber in the early 1900's.
John
Grimley1968

Postby Grimley1968 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was finally on the section of I-75 that is covered by the first phase of this work, on Friday. It runs from about MM 69 to about MM 64. At this point, the only inconveniences are a drop in speed limit to 55, a lane shift to the right in both directions, slightly narrower lanes, and basically no right shoulder. The roadway itself was widened years ago, so no blasting has to be done now. So far there are no lane closures. They're already grading and laying some road surface. If there are any lane closures, it will probably be when the surface is done and they need to re-stripe it, but that can be done overnight and probably for a short time, as short as this section is. They have not begun on the other phases from MM 64 down to about MM 52, but they will probably be done in the same relatively low impact fashion. I never did hear of any major backups in this area during spring break.

Except that it's costing more money to come back and add a lane to the previously widened roadway (they should have added the 3rd lane at the time the roadway was widened - it would have cost less), this project seems to be inconveniencing drivers only a little for a long-term fantastic improvement. This section of I-75 is one of the longest stretches of 2-lane (in each direction) still remaining in Kentucky (and possibly Tennessee).
John
Grimley1968

Postby larryz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Aha. "Improvement" in the Disney sense of the word: "Let's screw it up for everyone for a couple of years only to leave it like we should have left it 5 years ago."
larryz

Postby Grimley1968 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:17 pm

This section badly needs to be 6-laned. It'll be done this fall.
John
Grimley1968

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION