The "Money Grab" Thread

Disney and Theme Park News & Rumors as well as random blogs worth mentioning

Re: The "Money Grab" Thread

Postby lugnut33 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:09 pm

I know we give Disney a lot of shit over their money grabbing ways, but did you see the latest quarterly results? A huge huge increase in guest spending, so it paid off for them. They raised prices and created new revenue streams and the public opened their wallets.

We are the stupid ones.
lugnut33

Postby larryz » Thu May 11, 2017 2:02 pm

lugnut33 wrote:I know we give Disney a lot of shit over their money grabbing ways, but did you see the latest quarterly results? A huge huge increase in guest spending, so it paid off for them. They raised prices and created new revenue streams and the public opened their wallets.

We are the stupid ones.

What do you mean, "we," kimosabe?
larryz

Postby surferdave » Thu May 11, 2017 2:05 pm

lugnut33 wrote:I know we give Disney a lot of shit over their money grabbing ways, but did you see the latest quarterly results? A huge huge increase in guest spending, so it paid off for them. They raised prices and created new revenue streams and the public opened their wallets.

We are the stupid ones.

They know that the price increases aren't going to change what very many guests are going to do on their currently planned trips. The real question is how it affects future trips. This is why we speculated that they are now enamored with one time customers.
surferdave

Postby Toulouse » Thu May 11, 2017 5:01 pm

surferdave wrote:

We are the stupid ones.

They know that the price increases aren't going to change what very many guests are going to do on their currently planned trips. The real question is how it affects future trips. This is why we speculated that they are now enamored with one time customers.

Agreed. I think the nature of Disney vacation planning makes that curve a lot longer to impact booking levels. But I still think people know value for their money when they see it and it will have an impact.

Aren't bookings soft for summer in spite of Pandora opening?
Toulouse

Postby posterchild » Thu May 11, 2017 6:03 pm

It is the cynic in me that wonders if the numbers are being manipulated in some way.
It's 3 rides and back to the booze.
posterchild

Postby flicx » Thu May 11, 2017 8:04 pm

In my opinion. Disney has dug a big hole. How much more can they raise prices? Honestly we are pretty close if not at the top. The drawing cards that Disney once held seem to be diminishing. Parks are aging with little in the way of improvements, the avatar expansion will be a flop (IMO). At some point you will need repeat business. These gimmicky upcharges may be good in the short term but what about long term. If we can learn anything from the past 5 to 10 years one only needs to look at Universal Orlando. Look at the upturn in that business model. By that standard alone Disney fails miserably. I feel Disney has already done so much damage to the brand it will take a decade or more to fix. I guess time will tell!
Hey Disney in case you haven't noticed universal is kicking your ass!
flicx

Postby northern freeze » Fri May 12, 2017 1:38 pm

After years of seeing the money grabs, combined with the above mentioned problems, we are not going to WDW this year, and maybe not next either.
And we are die-hard Disney fans, so we are voting with our wallets at this time.
northern freeze

Postby Harmony » Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 pm

There were no characters on the Tink 5K course at Disneyland on Friday. Apparently runDisney had decided not to include characters in the 5K and 10K any longer, and to lessen the number in the 1/2 marathon as well. There was immediate backlash (understandably), and apparently runDisney reversed course and there were characters there today after all. Hopefully this remains the case for future races. If they do decide to eliminate characters from the shorter races, then the ridiculously high registration fees will be even more of a money grab than they already are. I had no issues telling them I'd no longer be doing runDisney races if they got rid of the characters. Being able to keep a fast enough pace to stop for a character was a driving goal for me in prepping for the 10K last year. It was a huge moment to get there and actually be able to do it (I am so NOT a runner :P ). It'd be a shame if they went away :(
Harmony

Postby Confunded » Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 am

Harmony wrote:There were no characters on the Tink 5K course at Disneyland on Friday. Apparently runDisney had decided not to include characters in the 5K and 10K any longer, and to lessen the number in the 1/2 marathon as well. There was immediate backlash (understandably), and apparently runDisney reversed course and there were characters there today after all. Hopefully this remains the case for future races. If they do decide to eliminate characters from the shorter races, then the ridiculously high registration fees will be even more of a money grab than they already are. I had no issues telling them I'd no longer be doing runDisney races if they got rid of the characters. Being able to keep a fast enough pace to stop for a character was a driving goal for me in prepping for the 10K last year. It was a huge moment to get there and actually be able to do it (I am so NOT a runner :P ). It'd be a shame if they went away :(
I still think that the Disneyland mgmt is more responsive to the feedback they receive from guests. IMO, WDW are treated like crap.
Confunded

Postby Toulouse » Thu May 18, 2017 11:29 am

Here's the latest. Pontoon party boat in the World Showcase!

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new- ... st-7715943
Toulouse

Postby Grimley1968 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Toulouse wrote:Here's the latest. Pontoon party boat in the World Showcase!

LOL. I think I'll stick with my local buddy's pontoon on the local huge lake and all the cheap beer we can put in a cooler. Give us enough of the cheap stuff and we can imagine WS countries situated on nearby cliffs and no line to the bathrooms. :lol:
John
Grimley1968

Postby lugnut33 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Toulouse wrote:Here's the latest. Pontoon party boat in the World Showcase!

$149, :lol:
lugnut33

Postby Toulouse » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:20 am

Next installment: Preferred Parking at Disney Springs

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pref ... st-7736589
Toulouse

Postby Grimley1968 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Toulouse wrote:Next installment: Preferred Parking at Disney Springs

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pref ... st-7736589

Are the surface lots any closer to DS than the parking garage? If not, this would only appeal to those who want to pay more for less. I haven't used the garage yet, but from what I read it's pretty nice.

I see the defenders being the usual bunch on WDWMagic. I'm afraid to even look on the DIS, because I don't want my blood to boil.

ETA: just looked at it on Google Maps, and the garage appears to be no farther away than the previous surface lot. I would say that Disney really seems to be playing to the conspicuous consumer here, except that there's nothing conspicuous about throwing away $10 extra for less service. :?
John
Grimley1968

Postby rucifee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Pay to get wet, sounds like Disney to me. They could market it as a water attraction.
Bob's constant price gouging has done me in once again. Thanks but no thanks Mr. Iger.
rucifee

Postby Minnie Mum » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:31 pm

rucifee wrote:Pay to get wet, sounds like Disney to me. They could market it as a water attraction.

Wet, roasted, or both, depending on the day. One of be reasons we don't drive to the parks- I don't want to get in it when it's been baking in the sun for hours. Why would I pay to do the same at DS?

Is this their plan to turn this around? http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/wal ... time-ever/

Or are all these money grabs a part of the reason for the drop?
Minnie Mum

Postby rucifee » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Now for only $59, Disney Annual Passholders can get a 2 month express bus pass. I'm dying a little in side here, this is so bad that I can't help but laugh. What's worse is that people will probably actually pay for this trash.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/06/disney-wo ... ssholders/
Bob's constant price gouging has done me in once again. Thanks but no thanks Mr. Iger.
rucifee

Postby lugnut33 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:26 am

Minnie Mum wrote:
rucifee wrote:Pay to get wet, sounds like Disney to me. They could market it as a water attraction.

Wet, roasted, or both, depending on the day. One of be reasons we don't drive to the parks- I don't want to get in it when it's been baking in the sun for hours. Why would I pay to do the same at DS?

Is this their plan to turn this around? http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/wal ... time-ever/

Or are all these money grabs a part of the reason for the drop?

Doubt they care considering they are getting more money out of their guests. They could be @ 30% of Orlando market share and as long as they keep Wall Street happy that is all that really matters. Besides, wasn't one of the goals to eliminate the dirt peeps and have it become an exclusive resort of the rich or those that want to feel rich?
lugnut33

Postby bcrook » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:13 am

Plus don't forget all the DVC people who have committed for 50 years.
- Barry
bcrook

Postby Toulouse » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:20 pm

So here we are on page 35 of the "Money Grab" thread and we have a new low.

OP books and pays for horseback riding at Fort Wilderness for her upcoming trip (payment required at time of booking). Then she gets a call from Disney saying the price has gone up since she booked. It's not updated yet on the site, but the price is up and they need more cash. Really! I can't make this stuff up!

Still waiting for Maxiesmom to chime in and defend Disney. She's about the only person I can think of who would even try!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/force ... e.3614115/
Toulouse

Postby rucifee » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Toulouse wrote:So here we are on page 35 of the "Money Grab" thread and we have a new low.

OP books and pays for horseback riding at Fort Wilderness for her upcoming trip (payment required at time of booking). Then she gets a call from Disney saying the price has gone up since she booked. It's not updated yet on the site, but the price is up and they need more cash. Really! I can't make this stuff up!

Still waiting for Maxiesmom to chime in and defend Disney. She's about the only person I can think of who would even try!

OMG that's terrible! I'm also sadly not surprised though.
rucifee

Postby Grimley1968 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 pm

That really is a money grab. How pathetic.
John
Grimley1968

Postby Grimley1968 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 am

I can see that AngiTN posted a non-insulting reply in there. Still waiting on Maxiesmom, though. If/when it happens it might read something like, "Is the OP seriously considering riding horses at WDW? Riding on an animal that will probably defecate at some point on its trip is not very magical, for OP or for those around her. I strongly recommend OP reconsider. For shame!"
John
Grimley1968

Postby Joshua » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Toulouse wrote:So here we are on page 35 of the "Money Grab" thread and we have a new low.

That's, if you'll pardon the pun, horseshit. I can't believe the audacity of raising the price on something someone has already paid for. That would be like a gas station raising the price on gas as you're filling up.
Joshua

Postby Toulouse » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:58 pm

And here's a blast from the past. I can only surmise that WisBlue reads here since he surfaced on the DIS for the first time in forever to comment on the thread recently mentioned here. Hey WisBlue! 8-)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/force ... t-57812906
Toulouse

PreviousNext

Return to NEWS, RUMORS, and BLOGS.........