3rd trip on AP. Focused on Dining

Ohana's is great! No, Ohana's sucks!
Chef Mickey's doesn't have crab legs.
Bahama Breeze has the best happy hour specials.
Cancelling an ADR or need one?
Where and where not to eat. Reviews, questions, and answers.

3rd trip on AP. Focused on Dining

Postby bcrook » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 am

My cousin just booked a 1 bedroom unit at Old Key West for June. He offered me the couch/chair bed. I accepted of course. This will be three trips on one AP. With the DVC rooms it’s turns out to be relatively inexpensive per day for lodging and ticket. $500/14 = $35.00 a day for ticket price. The flights are generally cheap, and I would fly somewhere anyway.

It’s the food that gets me! :lol:

My cousin wants to visit more restaurants we have never been to. That gets more and more challenging each year. Because there aren’t many left.

I guess we might have to breakdown and go to Monsieur Paul and Artist Point.

What are your favorite dining experiences at WDW? I’ll put together some kind of adventure or theme for the group.
- Barry
bcrook

Re: 3rd trip on AP. Focused on Dining

Postby Joshua » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:34 am

Magic Kingdom
Liberty Tree Tavern: this was before they cut back their lunch options to push the All You Can Eat. If it's still like that, then cross this one off the list.
Sleepy Hollow: I'm a sucker for those Nutella & fruit waffle sandwiches.

Epcot
Kringla Bakeri: schoolbreadschoolbreadschoolbreadschoolbreadschoolbreadschoolbreadschoolbreadschoolbreadschoolbread
Chefs de France: cheese, bread, repeat.
Do the Food & Wine kiosks count?

Hollywood Studios
Sci-fi Dine-in: the menu isn't particularly interesting, but they steam a good ham.
50s Prime Time Cafe: food is adequate, if unmemorable, it's a great destination for first-timers.

Animal Kingdom
Yak & Yeti: potentially my favorite restaurant on property.

Resorts
Whispering Canyon Cafe: I can't speak to most of the menu, but the bison meat loaf I had was the single greatest dish I've ever eaten on vacation.
Hoopdee Doo Revue: pretty okay ribs, delicious strawberry shortcake, and a show to boot.
Joshua

Postby bcrook » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Maybe I should bite the bullit and cross off San Angel.

I’m going to compile a list of restaurants that neither my cousin or I have visited. I will start there.
- Barry
bcrook

Postby Laketravis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 am

bcrook wrote:Maybe I should bite the bullit and cross off San Angel......

We ALMOST ate at San Angel until they seated us where our backs were to the water ride and we were staring at a blank wall. We decided to leave.

Surprisingly, some of our best dining experiences have been at venues that don't usually receive great reviews and aren't considered Signature:

Hollywood & Vine
Whispering Canyon Cafe for dinner
Mama Melrose
Biergarten
Cape May Cafe (seafood buffet only)
The Wave for breakfast
Flame Tree
Grand Floridian Cafe
Founder of the banned by Doc club! Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
Laketravis
Site Admin

Postby Grimley1968 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:33 am

Most of my favorite WDW dining has been at resorts rather than parks.

- WL. We love Whispering Canyon, for all meals of the day. A lot is mentioned about the hokey "show" they do, and I admit it can get loud, but the waitstaff is very good about reading whether you really want to participate or not. The food is awesome, and filling. Artist Point is also very good if you want a slightly more "gourmet" meal. I just prefer the more casual atmosphere of WCC. The new counter service place over by the Villas may be worth a shot.
- Poly. It might actually cause diabetes, but the tonga toast at Kona Cafe can actually satisfy me until dinner. I'm not fond of 'Ohana, though. I personally think it's overrated.
- Boatwright's at POR. Yes, it's out of the way and they insist on the stupid ADR seating (as of a few years ago, at least). But I've consistently had good meals there, and it is possibly the most relaxed environment in all of WDW.
John
Grimley1968

Postby larryz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:09 pm

I was very pleasantly surprised by the 50's Prime Time Cafe. The pork shank was good, and the samples I had of the chicken and meatloaf were also very tasty! Hollywood Brown Derby has yet to disappoint me.

Biergarten, of course, remains my favorite dinner buffet. Tokyo Dining for Japanese food.

I'm still pretty jazzed about the Caprese Flatbread at the Haus. And I concur on LTT, even tho' some say the mac 'n' cheese is Stouffers. I happen to like Stouffers...

The Ahi Tuna Nachos at the Yaking Yeti is the single most memorable appetizer I've ever had anywhere. The other food I've had there was good, too -- I forget what it was called, but it was basically tempura shrimp on a stick.
larryz

Postby Laketravis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:25 pm

I wanted to add that Yachtsman's was one of my hands-down favorites until they changed the menu.
Laketravis
Site Admin

Postby Joshua » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:11 am

Speaking of Yachtsman, I've been considering adding one nice, fancy-ish dinner for my upcoming trip and Yachtsman is on the short list. What other similarly-priced restaurants on property would y'all recommend?

ETA: Jiko and Flying Fish just moved to the top of my list, with California Grill a dark horse candidate as it's the less interesting of the three, but it has bison, which I adore.
Joshua

Postby bcrook » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:11 pm

For me, Jiko is always my favorite.
For our June trip we are going to try Narcoossees.
- Barry
bcrook

Postby Laketravis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:44 am

bcrook wrote:For our June trip we are going to try Narcoossees.

I think you'll really enjoy it - of all the signatures it's never disappointed us.
Laketravis
Site Admin

Postby bcrook » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:12 pm

- Barry
bcrook

Postby Momof2n4 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 am

We've done little Signature Dining. And I love buffets, which you loathe. But we had such a great meal at Mama Melrose's. Our server was one of the best we've had anywhere. And we had a combo with F! that included multiple courses and they were all delicious.

I also consider Flame Tree a must do at AK.
With lowered expectations, we pulled it off!
Momof2n4

Postby Joshua » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Made a reservation for my first trip to Jiko. Any recommendations or must-eats?
Joshua

Postby bcrook » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:49 pm

They change the menu up a bit. I loved the corn chowder this summer, but I see it’s different now.

The Elk is great. I think the Filet fantastic. Others in my party really like the boar appetizer.

I like the filet the most.
- Barry
bcrook

Return to EATING: Dining, Dives, and Reservations (ADR's)