Allegiant

Did you know that you can actually spend an entire day at WDW without spending a dime?
Make the most of your vacation while spending less. Share your tips with others

Allegiant

Postby Grimley1968 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:10 pm

There is another thread in here about Frontier, which has really been a welcome competitor in formerly expensive markets. Allegiant has been similarly welcome, especially in the south and midwest. They don't fly to MCO in Orlando. You have to go to the Sanford airport, but if you're renting a car anyway, it's much cheaper than even SW these days. Plus they fly out of some small, but very convenient airports that formerly did not have any scheduled service.
John
Grimley1968

Re: Allegiant

Postby larryz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Grimley1968 wrote:There is another thread in here about Frontier, which has really been a welcome competitor in formerly expensive markets. Allegiant has been similarly welcome, especially in the south and midwest. They don't fly to MCO in Orlando. You have to go to the Sanford airport, but if you're renting a car anyway, it's much cheaper than even SW these days. Plus they fly out of some small, but very convenient airports that formerly did not have any scheduled service.

Frontier is a pretty good ride. I've flown them between Denver and SW Ohio; very comfortable Airbuses with innovative in-seat entertainment options.
larryz

Postby Grimley1968 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:34 am

larryz wrote:
Grimley1968 wrote:There is another thread in here about Frontier, which has really been a welcome competitor in formerly expensive markets. Allegiant has been similarly welcome, especially in the south and midwest. They don't fly to MCO in Orlando. You have to go to the Sanford airport, but if you're renting a car anyway, it's much cheaper than even SW these days. Plus they fly out of some small, but very convenient airports that formerly did not have any scheduled service.

Frontier is a pretty good ride. I've flown them between Denver and SW Ohio; very comfortable Airbuses with innovative in-seat entertainment options.

Frontier now has direct flights from CVG (the Cincy/N Ky airport) to Fort Lauderdale or Fort Myers, for very cheap pricing, or even to Denver as well. At one time, the CVG airport was voted the most expensive airport in the country, but Frontier and Allegiant coming to that airport have changed things dramatically. It's given us in southern Kentucky an option we didn't really have for many years. Lexington and Knoxville are both closer to me and both have Allegiant, but Allegiant and Frontier's presence at CVG have lowered prices there so much that it's a no brainer to drive the extra 45 minutes to get there versus LEX.
John
Grimley1968

Postby Momof2n4 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:04 pm

frontier is not an option here, but allegiant is. However, they have very few options. I could go to another city 75 miles or so away and use either... but with only a few more options.

If we do cruise only in 2018, we might fly down and back. It would only be a tiny bit more than driving plus hotel.
With lowered expectations, we pulled it off!
Momof2n4

Postby Grimley1968 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Momof2n4 wrote:frontier is not an option here, but allegiant is. However, they have very few options. I could go to another city 75 miles or so away and use either... but with only a few more options.

If we do cruise only in 2018, we might fly down and back. It would only be a tiny bit more than driving plus hotel.

But keep an eye out for Frontier. They seem to be expanding their airports rapidly, like Allegiant. I'm hoping Frontier comes to LEX soon (though it's a tiny airport) and helps drop their pricing along with Allegiant's relatively recent appearance there.
John
Grimley1968

Postby Grimley1968 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Woo hoo! Just found out that Southwest is coming to Cincy/N. Ky. airport. They're not that much of a "discount" carrier anymore, but I love their service when I use them in Louisville or Nashville. Just another option a little closer to me than Louisville or Nashville.
John
Grimley1968

Postby Momof2n4 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Grimley1968 wrote:Woo hoo! Just found out that Southwest is coming to Cincy/N. Ky. airport. They're not that much of a "discount" carrier anymore, but I love their service when I use them in Louisville or Nashville. Just another option a little closer to me than Louisville or Nashville.

I agree that they're not exactly low price, but they do offer some very nice direct flights to all of Florida, and a bunch of the Caribbean routes are super inexpensive. We can get from Buffalo to most of the Caribbean for less money round trip then I can get to most of the continental United States.
Momof2n4

Postby bcrook » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Grimley1968 wrote:Woo hoo! Just found out that Southwest is coming to Cincy/N. Ky. airport. They're not that much of a "discount" carrier anymore, but I love their service when I use them in Louisville or Nashville. Just another option a little closer to me than Louisville or Nashville.

They really aren't the go to place for cheapest flights anymore. I started losing interest with the advent of the early bird upcharge. I was looking at flights to Vegas in June, Delta was over a $100.00 cheaper. I was stunned.
- Barry
bcrook

Postby Momof2n4 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:05 am

The one thing Southwest has on the others, is the free luggage. My son is going to Costa Rica this summer. They can get round-trip from Buffalo to Costa Rica for $353. They can each bring two bags. The same trip on Delta is $890. Plus $25 per bag per leg.

There is a conversation with one of my friends on Facebook right now. "When is the best time to buy air?" Another friend chimes in the consumer reports says there is no best time anymore. Aggregatesstink because they don't all compute all the airlines. Buying airfare is a pain these days.
Momof2n4

Postby Confunded » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:17 am

Southwest will also give you a credit when you have to cancel a flight. They seem a lot more accommodating than the other carriers.
Confunded

Postby Grimley1968 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:59 am

Momof2n4 wrote:There is a conversation with one of my friends on Facebook right now. "When is the best time to buy air?" Another friend chimes in the consumer reports says there is no best time anymore. Aggregatesstink because they don't all compute all the airlines. Buying airfare is a pain these days.

With Allegiant and Frontier you can see when the lowest fares are in a given week, usually Tuesdays and Wednesdays, with a rate calendar. I don't think they adjust their fares during the booking week, like some airlines used to, however. I don't mind that, TBH, because it makes it easier for me to look up fares if I know they're going to be the same if I look them up on Friday as if I look them up on Monday. I've noticed Frontier on Priceline, but not Southwest or Allegiant. I prefer to look directly on their websites anyway. To make our trip out west more affordable last summer, I made sure to take my time off from Wednesday of one week through Wednesday of the next. I booked both our flights for those Wednesdays, which saved lots of money.
John
Grimley1968

Postby Momof2n4 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:40 am

By "at what time" they wondered 100 days out or 50 days out. Or buy on Tuesdays, etc.
Momof2n4

Postby northern freeze » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:49 pm

My daughter flew Allegient for the first time last year. She had to drive to Grand Forks, ND (about 80 miles away) to catch the flight. But it was so much cheaper that she was willing to do it. She found the flight to be comfortable, no problems. She arrived in Sanford on time and took a car service to wDW to visit us. It was a direct flight out of GF to MCO, which is rare up here in the north country. I haven't tried it yet, but it's tempting.
northern freeze

Postby mellyf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Confunded wrote:Southwest will also give you a credit when you have to cancel a flight. They seem a lot more accommodating than the other carriers.

And I don't think they charge a fee to change flights. They just charge you the difference (or issue a credit).
mellyf

Postby Toulouse » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:41 pm

I try hard to book Southwest. The combination of free bags plus no change fee is a winner for us.

That said, if there was more than about a $25 difference, I'd book with a different carrier. Southwest isn't cheap, but it's usually close enough we end up going with them.
Toulouse

Postby Violet3000 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:02 pm

mellyf wrote:
Confunded wrote:Southwest will also give you a credit when you have to cancel a flight. They seem a lot more accommodating than the other carriers.

And I don't think they charge a fee to change flights. They just charge you the difference (or issue a credit).

Yes they are awesome for changing flights. I had to change my flight for the next day and it was so easy on the app, like 5 taps and done. And I got $21 bucks back per ticket since it was a lower price. Love southwest.
Violet3000

Return to BUDGET: More for Less - Orlando on a budget